- UK Finance respond to UK Government White Paper on Brexit
- UK FInance publishes Mortgage Trends Update
- Capgemini report reveals that the financial services industry could expect to add up to $512bn to global revenues by 2020 through ‘intelligent automation’
- Banking Trojans global impact has increased by 50% in last four months
- Emma Technologies FinTech raises £420,000 in seed funding
- Liberis uses Open Banking technology to increase funding access for UK small businesses
- Moneybox closes a £14m Series B funding expired
- Visa Loyalty Solutions(VLS) with FinTech novae launches omnichannel digital points redemption platform available to all issuing banks in Latin America and the Caribbean expired
- Bank of Cyprus completes sale of UK subsidiary to Cynergy Capital expired
- Capital Dynamics to acquire Milan-based Advanced Capital SGR expired
- EQT and other co-investors agree to acquire Saxo Payments Banking Circle from Saxo Bank expired
- Frontierpay opens Asia HQ in Singapore expired
13th October 2017
Santander increases profitability target for 2018
Banco Santander has increased its return on tangible equity (ROTE) target for 2018. The target has increased from 11 per cent to over 11.5 per cent due to an improving economic outlook in a number of the Group’s core markets. The change in target has been confirmed at Banco Santander’s 2017 ‘Group Strategy Update’, which took place at the New York Stock Exchange.
Over the past 12 months, shares in Banco Santander SA have outperformed the market significantly, increasing by 54.3 per cent during the period compared to a 35.8 per cent increase in the Stoxx Banks Index. In July 2017 the Bank announced a 24 per cent increase in attributable profit for the first half of 2017, driven in part by particularly strong performance in Latin America as well as improvements in Spain and robust performance in the UK.
Ana Botín, Banco Santander Executive Chairman, said: “In the last 12 months we have made significant progress in earning customer loyalty and improving the quality of our business. We continue to see excellent growth in Latin America as well as positive trends across both Europe and the US. In the UK, while GDP growth has slowed, performance has been better than we had expected. As a result we have increased our profitability targets for 2018.”
During the strategy update Santander reiterated all its remaining targets for 2018, including targets to reach double digit growth in Earnings per Share (EPS) by 2018, and grow total and cash Dividend per Share (DPS), and Tangible Net Asset Value per share annually.
José Antonio Álvarez, Group Chief Executive Officer, said: “Our strategy is working and we continue to deliver on the commitments made to our shareholders. We are increasing loyal customers and progressing well with our digital transformation – maintaining our position among the most profitable and efficient banks in the world.”